Saturday, April 30, 2011

Different Priorities

Let me start off by saying I am not bashing the CHP or law enforcement here. It is just a fact that different branches of public safety have different priorities and perceptions and that can cause problems for us.

When we, the fire department, come up to an emergency scene we position our apparatus to provide maximum safety for our personnel and to provide the most advantageous angle of attack or deployment of equipment. The most common move is the "fend off" position where the rig is parked at an angle providing a barrier for the engineer at the pump panel and the crew and victims on scene. This way, also, if the rig is hit by another vehicle it is not pushed into the scene but away from it. This maneuver usually involves "taking a lane" that is blocking an additional lane of traffic. We are not that concerned with traffic flow or other considerations beyond the safety of those at the scene. If it is a true emergency we will probably ask for traffic control or for the road to be closed anyway.

CHP doesn't seem to share this view.

Their primary goal is to keep the roadway/freeway open and traffic flowing. I recently responded to a motorcycle down on the freeway in the number one lane, that's the left hand fast lane. I had to travel up the left shoulder most of the way, barely squeezing by the cars in that lane just to get there. As I approached the scene we could see two CHP cars on the left shoulder and then the motorcycle and motorcyclist and two more cars beyond that. The motorcyclist was standing and the bike was upright so that was a good sign. The Captain advised me to "take a lane" and we would check it out. As I approached, I was positioned partly on the shoulder and mostly in the number one lane. The CHP officer in front of me was motioning for me to move onto the shoulder.

As I continued to approach and didn't comply, he began vigorously motioning me over to the shoulder. I was looking directly at him and couldn't pretend I didn't see his directions but the Captain just gave him a "we know, we know" kind of gesture. I stopped the rig and the officer came to my window and said, "Hey, the guy's ok, please don't block the lane". At least he said please. I looked to the captain for direction and he looked at the motorcyclist and told me to go ahead and move the rig. I had no choice but to go beyond the accident now, a few cars ahead and onto the left shoulder. There really wasn't much shoulder to work with though. I squeezed as close to the K rail as I could get and still be able to open my door, which meant the Captain and firefighter's doors opened directly into the number one lane of now still-moving traffic. That is exactly why we don't do this. It is endangering our crew just getting out of the rig and limiting our protection while working on scene.

The rider was alright and the ambulance arrived right after us so we were able to clear quickly and get out of there. But, I was not at all happy with how the whole thing had played out.

The situation reminded me of a call that happened down South where a fire captain was actually handcuffed for taking the side of safety over the CHP. Check it out:



(To be fair: I can't help but notice and must comment on the humorous fact that the "safety conscious" Captain leapt off a still moving vehicle with no safety gear on at all to work on the side of a freeway. Notice the firefighter is in full turnouts and helmet.)

P.S. There was a lawsuit after this and the Captain won to the tune of $17,500.

No comments:

Post a Comment