Friday, October 7, 2011

New Digs


Well, I decided to put in my bid for a new station. After my 3 station department joined the county department I have worked at about ten new (to me) stations. Some were places I knew I didn't really want to work and others were fine but didn't present an overwhelming reason to leave my comfort zone of the station and town I'd been in for so many years. The one that did intrigue me was the station that houses the rescue boat. I figured that was something so different than what I've done so far in my career that it could be worth the move. The station is in another city which is about 20-25 minutes closer to home for me, so it will improve my commute a bit as well.


A spot opened up at that station and the firefighter there was already someone I knew from my old department so it would make the transition even easier. I was awarded the bid and had my first tour at the new station. The boat was in the shop so I didn't get to check it out but the engine there is pretty good. It's old and has some problems but it's not bad. It is nice to be back on an engine after the cramped/crowded Quint I've been driving. The rumor is that the department will be getting 2-4 new engines and one of them may be slated for my new station.

I fear this blog may suffer a bit though. The district is small, pretty well kept, and has a predominately older population. It is also pretty slow. We had one call in the next district over for a kid on a special needs bus who got punched by another kid on the first day and one in our district the next day for an elderly woman with back pain. We are, however, surrounded by some busier stations and could get their overflow and respond in to any structure fire in those districts, so here's hoping.

Once the boat comes back and I get to start training on it, there should be enough to occupy my time but I think the volume and variety of calls I will be going on will be quite diminished from what I'm used to.

The firefighter is two spots away from a promotion so he will probably be gone by mid-next-year and there is a temporary captain there right now. So, I don't really know who my crew will end up being, but however it works out, hopefully the boat will make it worthwhile.

2 comments: